What will TAMS cost? It Depends
Student’s choices cause variations in the cost of the program per student. Some of the choices include:
Activities/ Personal needs
Costs for TAMS families also depend on the EFC (Expected Family Contribution) as assessed by the FAFSA, a family’s EFC value can be found on the Student Aid Report (SAR), FAFSA provides after completion. Students are UNT students in the TAMS program and pay tuition costs set by UNT. This effects the estimated costs since TAMS does not set costs for UNT.
Steps to Determine EFC for TAMS Scholarships
3. Use EFC from SAR to review TAMS Estimates with Scholarships on this web page
Cost Estimates and Charges
FAFSA completion is required to be eligible for any TAMS Scholarship. See Financial Aid section for more details about FAFSA. All students who complete the FAFSA or TASFA will receive at least a $7,500 scholarship for the year.
- UNT Tuition and Tuition Related Fees
- Housing and Dining Costs (Room and Board)
- TAMS Program Charge
- TAMS Student Activities Charge
Estimated Yearly Costs for 2023-2024 Academic Year
(All students who complete the FAFSA or TASFA will receive a scholarship, the scholarship is not considered in the cost estimate here)
|Tuition and Fees *||$14,000|
|Room & Board: Housing- McConnell Hall Fall & Spring (Estimate with approximate 2% increase from 22-23)||$6, 265|
|Room & Board: Dining- 7 Day Basic Flex
(Estimate with approximate 2% increase from 22-23)
|TAMS Program Charge $400 due upon return of intent letter||$2,500|
|Student Activities Charges||$100|
|Total Estimated Yearly Costs Before TAMS Scholarship||$27,090|
Estimated Costs with Scholarship for 2023- 2024 (Class of 2024 and 2025)
|Completed FAFSA or TASFA and have an EFC Value of Greater than 40,000|
|Amount of TAMS Scholarship||$8,000 TAMS Student Scholarship||Estimated Yearly Cost||$19,090||Fall Estimate||$10,845|
|Completed FAFSA or TASFA and have an EFC Value of LESS than 40,000|
|Amount of TAMS Scholarship||$12,500 TAMS Student Scholarship||Estimated Yearly Cost||$14,590||Fall Estimate||$8,595|
|Completed FAFSA or TASFA and have an EFC Value of LESS than 15,590|
|Amount of TAMS Scholarship||$12,500 Student Scholarship + TAMS Supplemental Scholarship to reduce to EFC||Estimated Yearly Cost||EFC Value (Yes, this can be $0)||Fall Estimate||=(EFC/2)+$1300|
*Estimates are based on a 17-hour class load fall & spring. Each student can calculate a more personalized tuition/fee estimate using the tuition and fees estimator at the following link: https://sfs.unt.edu/tuition-and-fee-calculators
**Estimate: For a more accurate individual amount please go to housing rates to see McConnell Hall’s rate and choices of food plans
Scholarship Descriptions and Book Provision:
- Books: TAMS supplies textbooks and/or course materials for core STEM courses and provides support for most materials in the form of direct provision of materials in physical or electronic versions.
- TAMS Student Scholarship based on EFC as assessed by the FAFSA. The TAMS scholarship amount will not decrease for the duration of both years. Every student who completes the FAFSA will receive a TAMS Student Scholarship.
- TAMS Supplemental Scholarship -TAMS provides a supplemental scholarship to cover for “unmet need”. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for a supplemental TAMS scholarship and other forms of financial aid. If you qualify, an email will be sent to student and parent. Awards are disbursed separately for the fall and spring semesters. A good estimate of what TAMS could cost a student who qualifies for unmet need would be the EFC (Expected Family Contribution), this information is provided on the Student Aid Report upon completion of the FAFSA.
*TAMS Student Scholarship amounts will not decrease for both years from amount promised to entering class, but the amount awarded to a student is determined each year be EFC value for that year.
Room and Board (Housing)
The TAMS Dean's Office should always be your first point of contact if you have any Housing questions. Please contact Cortney Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students must fill out a Housing application online each year at the Housing site.
First-year students may begin filling out their Housing Application after they have been admitted to TAMS. TAMS Admissions will notify them and send their "EUID." On "e-housing," click on "Create my Account"" in the green column on the left.
Second-year (returning students to TAMS) may begin their Housing Application in January for the following year (For example, January 2023 for Fall 2023/Spring 2024). In "e-housing," click on "Apply Now" in the green column on the left. The application must be filled out before room assignments are made in the summer.
Prepayment of $400 is due within ten days of completion of the application (no later than July 1, 2023). $350 will go towards the first room and board payment in the fall and the remaining $50 is an administrative processing fee for Housing and is non-refundable. Otherwise a new application will have to be completed.
Applications should be complete before room assignments can be made.
Housing will send any balances at the end of each semester to student accounting which will block student records. If the balance is sent to student accounting for collection it will no longer show on the housing web site and will need to be paid at https://studentaccounting.unt.edu/payments.
Housing will post the Fall 2023 charges a few weeks before school begins in the fall semester (August), and the Spring 2024 charges a few weeks before school begins in the spring semester (January).
For current housing rate information please see the UNT rate guide.
Program Charge (non-refundable)
The program charge is to help cover additional costs due to the unique needs and services in the TAMS program. The current charge is $2500 annually, the amount will remain unchanged for both years in TAMS. $400 is due upon return of intent letter and the remaining $2,100 payment is due after the semester begins each year.
Student Activities Charge
Each student is required to pay a charge of $100 per year. This accumulation of charges is used for the funding of all the organizations and activities sponsored by Student Activities. For example: portions of the charge are used to subsidize fall and spring orientation, Family Weekend, Prom and After Prom, Rose cutting and Student Life Awards, weekend trips, student conferences and the countless number of activities.
Refunds - MyUNT
Select refund method in student account at MyUNT
Financial Aid and FAFSA
Each student must fill out a FAFSA to be considered for Federal, State, and Local grants and scholarships. The FAFSA must be filled out each year. The best time to apply is in the fall (one year ahead) before the student comes to attend TAMS (ex. October 2022 to attend fall 2023). The FAFSA will be available as early as October 1st annually. UNT’s Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFAS) sends an automated email to any prospective students and families who submit a FAFSA with UNT listed as the destination institution. The information included in the communique is only relevant if the student is admitted to the TAMS program and enrolls in courses. The FAFSA message to students and families does NOT indicate or imply that a student has been admitted to TAMS.
FAFSA Website: https://studentaid.gov/
It takes about 2 - 3 months to process, completion of the FAFSA is the first step to understanding your family’s financial obligation.
The Federal Processing Center will send your information electronically to UNT Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFAS) and a file will be created. After acceptance in TAMS, you will be able to check the student's file at my.unt.edu. It will let you know where you are in processing, what step to take next, and accept the awards once they are awarded.
UNT Financial Aid Website: financialaid.unt.edu
- FAFSA is the only external form that UNT uses to consider students for all Federal, State and Local grants.
- TAMS additionally considers the student for TAMS Student and Supplemental Scholarships based on the FAFSA. If the student still needs funds, they can be considered for Student/Parent Loans.
- Students are invited to attend TAMS because of their academic status and receive Tuition and Fees Scholarships each year.
- Students who conduct research may be considered for Research Scholarships during the summer.
Finding outside sources for Scholarships & Grants
Locating scholarships can be difficult if you don't know where to look. Here are a few suggestions:
- Ask businesses, professional groups, radio stations, rotary clubs, etc., in your own community. You might find a small company with a scholarship that's gone unawarded for years.
- Tell family, friends, co-workers, parents’ employers, teachers, and neighbors that you're looking for scholarships - and that no scholarship is too small. Someone might come back with a little-known award through his or her employer or some other avenue that you never would have known about otherwise.
- Fastweb.com on-line scholarship compilation source
- UNT financial aid Eagle Scholarship Portal for University scholarships (note deadline on website).
- Other online scholarship portals- Warning: No reputable organization or website will ever ask you to pay for providing scholarship information. Do not pay a person or website to hunt for you. Chances are you won't get enough funding to pay for their fees, let alone to pay for school.
- Bookstores and libraries have many scholarship directories available. The reference section of your local library can be helpful finding these resources.
- How to Go to College Almost for Free, by Ben Kaplan
- The Scholarship Book
- Peterson College Money Handbook
- Grants Register
You may be able to find these at the Willis Library (UNT Campus) or at your local library.
UNT Cost of Attendance and TAMS Estimates
UNT will provide a COA (Cost of Attendance) and estimate of a cost to the student. The UNT COA often does not reflect all of the TAMS related financial aid until mid-August. It also includes estimates for charges which will not be charged to the student by UNT. The TAMS estimate here is a more accurate estimate for a student’s family.
Contact Admissions: email@example.com