Financial Aid

To cover housing expenses, academy students may be eligible for federal and state grants and loans. Approximately 30% of academy students receive financial assistance. Applicants seeking financial assistance may encounter three different forms -- FAFSA, SAR, and an Eligibility Notice, described below.

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Parents of students invited to interview are urged to complete a FAFSA as soon as possible. This form is included as part of each applicant's interview packet or can be obtained through your high school counselor's office. You can also apply through FAFSA On The Web. From the information submitted, the U.S. Department of Education will determine the expected family contribution for room, board, and related expenses.

Do not check "yes" on the item asking if you require a student loan, since that amount could be deducted from your grant aid package. If you need a loan after receiving your Eligibility Notice (which reflects all federal and state awards and any unmet need), apply in writing at that time through the UNT Financial Aid Office.

  • Student Aid Report (SAR)

Following submission of the FAFSA, the Department of Education will produce a SAR, which reflects the student's eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant. Your SAR is sent to the UNT Financial Aid Office at the same time you are sent your copy. Your SAR may state that you need to add or correct information on the form. If so, make corrections then resubmit so your awards (if eligible) can be processed.

  • Eligibility Notice

The methodology for calculating state grants is determined by the cost of education at UNT minus the family contribution, and Federal Pell Grant (if awarded). This amount is known as "unmet need".

An Eligibility Notice from UNT announcing the aid package will then be issued. If there is an "unmet need", the academy has funds (depending on the level of funding from the Texas Legislature) to award room and board scholarships to cover a percentage of this amount.

Questions? Contact the UNT Financial Aid Office regarding FAFSA, SAR, or loans.