Apply for the Music Track
Step 1: Apply to the Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science (TAMS).
Complete the Online Application by January 15, 2020. Students interested in applying for the Music Track must apply by the deadline to warrant consideration.
Step 2: Apply to the College of Music.
Complete the College of Music application through Acceptd by January 15, 2020:
- The TAMS Music Application Code needed to submit the College of Music Application will be provided AFTER you have submitted the TAMS Application
- Select 'Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science' as your Level in the Start an Application box beneath the UNT logo
- Select 'TAMS Music Track' as your Area and Program
- After you begin the application, you will indicate your instrument/voice to which you are applying.
- You will be required to submit an audition video through Acceptd for consideration. Audition repertoire information can be found below*
- Submit the name and email address of your two references. These references should be able to speak to your musical abilities and talents (private instructor, high school director, professional musician, etc.).
*For classical audition requirements, refer to http://www.music.unt.edu/admissions/undergraduate-repertoire. For jazz audition requirements, refer to http://jazz.unt.edu/admission-auditions.
Step 3: Submit TAMS Application Materials:
- Submit SAT (math + verbal) or ACT sophomore scores.* Have official College Board scores submitted via UNT college codes:
- 6481 for SAT score reporting
- 4136 for ACT score reporting
- To meet our application deadlines:
- Take the SAT on or before December 7, 2019; or
- Take the ACT on or before December 14, 2019
*TAMS does not require the essay or writing portion of either the SAT or ACT.
- Submit your Teacher Evaluation Request Form. TAMS will contact the teachers you provide on your behalf, including your math, science, and English teachers, as well as your counselor or principal (4 recommendations total).
Submit all supporting documents to the Upload Center.
(Applicants for all tracks are required to submit supplemental forms supporting their applications. Missing forms constitute an incomplete application and will not be reviewed.)
- Submit your residency questionnaire.
- Submit report cards for 7th and 8th grade, an unofficial transcript for 9th, and any current report cards for continuing work indicating at least one grading period. Classes in progress should have at least one grade reported.
Applications are not complete until all of the above are received.
Selected applicants will be invited for interviews. While no minimum requirements guarantee an interview, the likelihood of being invited is summarized below.
|Probability of an Interview|
|Rank (top %)||25%||20%||15%||10%||5%|
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and are based on a holistic review process*. You should plan ahead and apply early. The TAMS Admissions application will close on March 15, 2020 for the Class of 2022 acceptance cycle.
*All music students must submit an application by the deadline of January 15, 2020 to be accepted into the cycle of UNT’s College of Music.