Consideration for the Music Track
Step 1: Complete submissions for the Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science (TAMS).
Complete the TAMS Application Profile by January 4, 2021. Students interested in the Music Track must complete the TAMS Application Profile to warrant consideration.
Step 2: Apply to the College of Music.
Complete the College of Music application through Acceptd by January 4, 2021:
- The TAMS Music Application Code needed to submit the College of Music Application will be provided AFTER you have submitted the TAMS TAMS Application Profile
- Select 'Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science' as your Level in the Start an Application box beneath the UNT logo
- Select 'TAMS Music Track' as your Area and Program
- After you begin the application, you will indicate your instrument/voice to which you are applying.
- You will be required to submit an audition video through Acceptd for consideration. Audition repertoire information can be found below*
- Submit the name and email address of your two references. These references should be able to speak to your musical abilities and talents (private instructor, high school director, professional musician, etc.).
*For classical audition requirements, refer to http://www.music.unt.edu/admissions/undergraduate-repertoire. For jazz audition requirements, refer to http://jazz.unt.edu/admission-auditions.
Step 3: Submit TAMS Application Materials:
- Submit SAT (math + verbal) or ACT sophomore scores.* Have official College Board scores submitted via UNT college codes:
- 6481 for SAT score reporting
- 4136 for ACT score reporting
- To meet our application deadlines:
- Take the SAT on or before December 7, 2019; or
- Take the ACT on or before December 14, 2019
*TAMS does not require the essay or writing portion of either the SAT or ACT.
Submit all supporting documents.
- Submit your residency questionnaire.
- Submit report cards for 7th and 8th grade, an unofficial transcript for 9th, and any current report cards for continuing work indicating at least one grading period. Classes in progress should have at least one grade reported.
- Submit your Teacher Evaluation Request Form. TAMS will contact the teachers you provide on your behalf, including your math, science, and English teachers, as well as your counselor or principal (4 recommendations total).
Selected student will be invited for interviews. While no minimum requirements guarantee an interview, the likelihood of being invited is summarized below.
|Probability of an Interview|
|Rank (top %)||25%||20%||15%||10%||5%|
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and are based on a holistic review process*. You should plan ahead and submit early. All music students must submit an application to the College of Music for consideration by January 4, 2021 to be considered for UNT’s College of Music cycle.
Please refer to our official calendar for other important notes and deadlines.